Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Eve Thoughts on Xmas Cards, Bokeh, and Words.

(Warning: Another long post aka saga).

I was really bummed out when I receive our Christmas cards in the mail this year. I got expedited shipping because I was procrastinating. I even got them on recycled paper to be more environmentally-conscious (& also because I love the look of Kraft). To my dismay, this was what it said:



The names are all wrong. Who are the Johnsons?? Grrr... In the end, I made light of the situation and even gave a few out. But I was still sad that we didn't have a fam card that i loved especially since we were now a family of four.

I get so many inspiration from the blogs I follow. Amy Tangerine mentioned this iPhone app (Red Stamp) where you could make a card from your phone and send it out via email or texts. I literally did this in ten minutes. I was so happy that I ended up sending a Holiday card afterall! :) And I totally love it even more!



I also got excited that I got to finally take successful heart and star-shaped bokeh!





I first saw them on Cathy's blog/ facebook. I think they look better with colored lights. I especially love the pic with her youngest daughter and the heart-shaped bokeh.

But I actually did these using this tutorial. I'm going to have to get colored Christmas lights and make other shapes!

And lastly, for the New Year....

Rather than making a resolution, I'd like to play along with One Little Word. It's my first time playing along.

In the words of Ali Edwards, the creator of this phenomenon:

A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow. From my own personal experience, it can be a catalyst for enriching your life.

In 2006, I began a tradition of choosing one word for myself each January - a word that I can focus on, meditate on, and reflect upon as I go about my daily life. My words have included play, peace, vitality, nurture, light, and story. These words have each become a part of my life in one way or another. They've been imbedded into who I am, and into who I'm becoming. They've been what I've needed (and didn't know I needed). They've helped me to breathe deeper, to see clearer, and to grow.


If I could choose one word that would sum up 2012, it would be BALANCE.

I would love to continue my stamping and blogging hobby, be a part of a couple more Design Teams and still be able to sleep, work, take care of my family. I would love to organize and clean more. I plan to buy more shelves to make up for the lack of closets and pantry in our home. This way, everything has a place to go. So keeping house while growing in my craft is a goal!

I would hope to save more money while still enjoying some of the luxuries in life that I've come to love -- nice family trips, designer purses (yes, I'm one of those, lol!), shopping, new stamps, and more Copics! I plan to budget every little expense and build up our savings again. This will probably mean only buying what I truly need in the stamping department and not having to shop for new clothes every time there's a party or Holiday coming along.

I would strive to cook healthier food and exercise more while still being able to eat some of my guilty pleasures. I would love to try juicing like my sis-in-law (who has lost so much weight) and Liz Kartchner. Have tried a veggie shake and actually liked it! I long to start loving working out again the way I used to with mountain biking, bikram yoga, even running on the treadmill. My hubby got the new Dance Central 2 so we'll see :). And I don't really want to deprive myself of what I like to eat: chocolate, fried food. Diets never work, and I believe the key is learning to take junk food in moderation.

Those are just some examples of my 'word.' I think in some ways, it sounds unattainable. That I'm reaching for too high of a goal... to want it all. But I think, too, that by starting small, I'll go far and be more determined.

Of course, throughout the year, I'll let you know how I'm coming along. I already have lay-outs that are forming in my brain as we speak :).

If you play along with OLW, I'd love to hear what your word is for this coming year!

Enjoy tonight and be safe, peeps!

7 comments:

Creations by Shirl said...

Wow that was a bummer on the first xmas cards.... I hope you got reimburse for it.....love the new pics with the four of you..... awesome...
As far as resolutions, I myself love my sweets especially chocolates... but I've been down to having them once a week verses every other day...he,he.....Sometimes I say what the heck we only live once......no regrets......
Well hope you have a very Happy New Year..... Can't wait to see all your new creations for 2012!!!!!!

Amy said...

Love the pics and your new holiday card is really cool, though the first one does provide a laugh! :)
Happy New Year and I hope 2012 brings more great things for you and your family!

My 3 E Scrapbooking said...

Both cards are beautiful but such a bummer about the first one!! I love your word for 2012! It is perfect! I want balance too! Happy New Year to you and your family!
Amber

Alison Willis said...

do you ever look for craft supplies here? it may be old news to you but Iike baby steals and noticed they had a scrapbook one too.

http://scrapbooksteals.stealnetwork.com/

eva said...

i'm glad you were able to make a card after all and it came out super cute!! i guess the photo company doesn't proofread either cause obviously you have 2 little boys! i love your bokeh! that's so neat!

Lalo said...

what a great read...so much fun stuff in this post!!! first off great photo even if the names are ALL wrong (I would send them out anyways, I like a good laugh)

JoAnn V. (http://joboogie.typepad.com) said...

Both cards came out cute! Bummer about the wrong wording! Yay for OLW! :)