Sunday, September 11, 2011

ABAC - Favor Box

*** If you're looking for Jo's Birthday Blog Hop and/ or to win MULTIPLE blog candies, please go HERE! ***
Remember that my candy closes today, at 5 PM EST.



"For me and my family personally, September 11 was a reminder that life is fleeting, impermanent, and uncertain. Therefore, we must make use of every moment and nurture it with affection, tenderness, beauty, creativity, and laughter." -Deepak Chopra, M.D.

"Even the smallest act of service, the simplest act of kindness, is a way to honor those we lost, a way to reclaim that spirit of unity that followed 9/11." -President Barack Obama



As today marks the tenth anniversary of 9/11, I wanted my post to reflect it.

I thought...what stamp could I possibly have that would symbolize the loss, sadness, terror this day caused? Heck, I find it difficult to make 'regular' sympathy cards.

So instead, I'm focusing on hope. Hope on humanity, hope that the terror will stop, hope that our soldiers are fighting for.

And what better way to depict hope than a little girl, happy in a swing and the color yellow. Actually, I have a niece who was born on this day. So this stamp was the right choice for today.

IMG_2284

Which brings me to my creation for PWCO's Anything But a Card challenge. I got this kraft box at Michael's and decorated it. It would make a great gift card holder or favor box. I think I overdid the flowers but I wanted it to be bright and happy. And yellow usually symbolizes support as well. For our soldiers and our fellow countrymen.

IMG_2285

& lookie-here, doesn't this remind you of a sun or star? It's the wood grain of my favorite table. Ahhh, it radiates hope already and puts a smile on my face every time I look at it.

IMG_2288

Supplies:
Stamp - PWCO's A Day in the Life of Abigail C- Spring Swing.
PP- doodlebug design inc.
Ink- Memento, Tim Holtz distress ink
Misc- Copics, ribbon, flowers, buttons, twine.

8 comments:

angie ashuk said...

I think its a perfect box !!!!

JoAnn V. (http://joboogie.typepad.com) said...

Lovely abac project and love how it represents positivity and hope after the regret of 9/11. Fabulous job!

Creations by Shirl said...

Such a pretty box - you do have an awesome blog page... and your bundle of joy is only so precious too... I will be your newest follower so hop on over to my blog and follow me too.. TFS!

Lisa said...

What an absolutely beautiful box and I love how it symbolizes hope! The flowers are gorgeous and I love the pretty stamp! Fabulous project!! :)

Lisa
http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

yyam said...

This is adorable! Put a smile on my face! :)

SuiLan said...

Thank you so much for sharing your touching words and project.

*Alison* said...

WOW.. Rinne.. You did such an amazing job with this box.. I love the clouds and the bright colors.. :) wonderful.. :) hugs

Amy said...

This is so cute and happy Rinne! Love the image with the clouds and happy flowers, great design and it looks even cooler on your table! Awesome work!