Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Harry Potter - themed Baby shower.

*Warning: Long post and lots of pictures ahead! But very fun though, if I do say so myself, LOL*

As I had just posted about my son's Woodland-themed party (see part 1 and part 2), I thought I'd keep the ball rolling and talk about my sister's Harry Potter-themed baby shower.

I could not and would never take credit for thinking this up or even executing it, but since my sister, Kristine, does not have a blog, she has given me permission to post pics and write about them.

We were both surprised when our other sis, Kate (the middle one), wanted an HP-themed party. And of course, it was her baby shower, of all things! I'd understand if it was a graduation party or anything school-related....but a shower??

I thought she was joking as it is really Kristine who is Harry Potter's biggest fan (you don't know how many times I've gotten reprimanded when I mentioned that Twilight was getting as big as HP. Tin, if you're reading this, I'm ducking!!). Kristine even said her wedding will be HP-themed! She wants to go to Harry Potter land for her 30th birthday! Hee hee - I want to make that latter wish for her come true!

Anyway, Kate is also a HP fanatic and thought it'd be fun! It was her shower so her choice. Her friends (who haven't read the books) were quite dumbfounded when asked if it was a Halloween party as well. We told them, no, and to just show up as if it's a regular baby shower. I'm not sure they quite got the theme or decor but they seemed to have fun.

So, here's my genius crafter sis Kristine at her best... I think she did a fantastic job! And I was able to help, too, with a place called Etsy. So, here it is, Kate's Harry Potter baby shower....

IMG_6744

Paint sample chips as bricks.... 9 3/4... It took her multiple visits to the local Home Depot. :) These were on the front door.

IMG_6858

When you enter, you'll notice the different colored streamers representing the four houses - Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. She doesn't have to spend lots of money, but she always has the best ideas!

Then hanging from these are graphic images she designed and printed out. Baby versions of Harry, Hermoine, and Ron!

IMG_6734

IMG_6735

My sis loves collecting old quirky things, so her collection of these regal books and figurines were perfect in the decor.

IMG_6866

IMG_6863

I mean, white candlesticks plus candles in the shapes of a dog and horse equal Hogwarts!!! My sis is super cool!

IMG_6741

IMG_6860

We folded up construction paper into the the four banners. She found this old mirror and we altered it too. My parents' formal curtains added a good backdrop. And did you notice the sorting hat (my sis' collection).

Above the dessert table, is a Quidditch Tournament :). A Quaffle and two Bludgers (both Chinese lanterns) and a Golden Stitch (not quite sure how she made that one).

IMG_6781

We used my kids as props too....errrr, that doesn't sound too good. How about mascots? LOL.

IMG_6745

Mini-Harry Potter with the argyle vest, forehead mark, and crooked glasses. And my oldest has many expressions...this one is perfect!

IMG_6750

My youngest is dressed in a little suit, quite made famous by my favorite show. I think its color and loose threads make it fit for this party too. Kristine found that headband somewhere. :) Haha.

And finally, folks, what I helped with. I made this diaper cake and wanted some HP themed additions.

IMG_6752

The owl hat topper was bought from Kyoko. The spoons had "Muggle Born" and "Accio Pears" engraved on them - these were bought from C. Pease. Right in the center is a Gryffindor-inspired floral headband made by Ashley Lee. The wooden eyeglasses and thunderbolt are teethers made by Dustin and Amanda Cowell. The burgundy bib on the right is from Adrienne Miller. And the Muggle Born onesie on the left is from Susannah O' Brien.

Here are more detailed shots:

IMG_6716

IMG_6717

IMG_6718

IMG_6721

IMG_6722

And, I wouldn't have thought this was all possible had I not seen this online at Etsy:

IMG_6754

If you could not yet tell, my sister was going to have a GIRL! That made it even harder trying to fit in Harry Potter, don't ya think? But one of the first things I found when I put in a search at Etsy was this adorable onesie with bloomer made to look like a Hogwart's Gryffindor student by Marissa!

Let me tell you folks! I love shopping at Etsy for party planning! I recommend these sellers mentioned completely. They are great to work with and their craftmanship are wonderful.

Anyway, the best part is yet to come.. the dessert table.

IMG_6771

IMG_6770

IMG_6772

Kate's best friend and I were in charge of the cake. She ordered it at the local bakeshop and told them to make it HP-themed. Good thing the good peeps at Vienna bakery knew what they were doing. They put in a scene from a Quidditch tournament and gave us that flying HP. It was way more than what we expected.

The potion bottles, scarves, broom sticks, and books were cupcake toppers bought from Rosy Salazar. Again, another Etsy seller I recommend.

The other desserts were...

IMG_6774

IMG_6773

Hedgwig's cupcakes. Get it?

IMG_6778

IMG_6779

Chocolate wands and caramel covered apples.

IMG_6780

Bertie Bott's every flavor beans and lemon drops.

But, darn, we forgot about Butter Beer!!!!

So just goes to show you...if you really love a story and if you have great Etsy sellers and sisters with creative minds, any theme is possible!

I ended up really loving this shower!!

Toot-a-loo and thanks for visiting!



5 comments:

Lalo said...

OMGeeezzz!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it and WANT WANT WANT it all!!! That's one lucky baby and mommy. the dipper cake is amazing...You out did yourself :)

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

the party turned out absolutely adorable! I'm so honored to have my little baby outfit be apart of the fun :)

Kimberly said...

This is brilliant--and so are you Corinne!

Unknown said...

HIII! I wanted to see if you could tell me where I could find the pictures of the baby Harry, Ron and Hermione?? I have looked online and wanted to reproduce them for my cousin's gender reveal party. Please let me know as soon as you can! Thank you!

RiNNE said...

Hi Lacy! Those were drawn/ designed by my other sister.