Friday, May 13, 2011

Waimaka o ka Lani

IMG_0395

It's been somber at work lately.

We lost a dear patient who was well known and well-liked. She had an infectious laughter and a perky charisma. She was very sick but her death was still very shocking to all. For she had passed on the operating room table, while getting a transplant. It was very bittersweet. But in a way, she did not feel any pain. And I wished that she had hope in her heart as she left this world.

I wanted to make a card that reflected her heritage and personality. I researched Hawaiian sympathy cards and found this saying: "Waimaka o ka Lani." It means Heavens cry when a loved one passes.

One of my lovely co-workers also shared this quote:

"Butterfly -
As you danced in the light with joy,
Love lifted you.
As you brushed against the world so gently,
You lifted us."

-- by T.C. Ring

The Hula Anya stamp from TGF was colored with Copics (although now I'm realizing I need more markers for blending darker skin better). My patient liked pinks and purples so I incorporated those colors. I thought it would be nice to have her dance on hibiscus flowers. The butterfly stamp is from Stampin' Up.

I have lost many patients in my decade-long nursing career. But it does not get easier with time.

Thanks for visiting. Hug your loved ones.

3 comments:

Amy said...

So sorry to hear the sad news about your patient, hopefully she had a loving family that you can give this beautiful creation to in their time of loss. Like all of your creations, your heart and caring comes across to really embrace the recipient. Big hugs my friend!

yyam said...

This is so lovely! Love the bright colors! :)

P/s: Sorry about the loss of your patient...death of someone nice is always hard.

JoAnn V. (http://joboogie.typepad.com) said...

What a thoughtful and beautiful card. I'm sure the family appreciated such a sweet sentiment.